Make every day Earth Day!
Earth Day is celebrated every year on April 22
On today April 22nd we are reminded of the importance of, and our role in protecting our planet. With all the extra PPE required over the last year, being safe whilst thinking of the environment has become very challenging. We are already seeing landfills full of masks.
There are small changes that we can make, here are 5 tips when it comes to brushing your teeth:
- Do not leave the water running when you brush your teeth. So many people brush their teeth with the water running. Stop! Turn on the water only to rinse your toothbrush.
- Try a new kind of toothbrush. Many of us have switched to electric toothbrushes which because of the smaller size of the replacement head reduces waste but for people who still prefer manual brushes try going natural. Try a toothbrush made from recycled or renewable materials and recycle it when it’s time for a new one (ideally every 3-6 months).
- Compost: yes I said it. Compost your toothbrush. If you choose a biodegradable tooth brush you can put it in your compost pile or the green containers that many of us get from our local refuse company. Biodegradable toothbrushes are generally made of corn starch that can be used to help a garden grow instead of clogging landfills.
- Brushing your teeth is not a race! Slow down and don’t brush so hard, be gentle on your gums. It will make your toothbrush last longer, saving you money and reducing waste. It’s also more effective and better for you.
- Floss, you knew we had to throw the dreaded floss in somewhere. By flossing regularly as part of your daily routine, you can help prevent major dental work, saving you money and reducing your carbon footprint.